Action cameras are a great way to get into filming and recording video with your own phone or computer. With the right camera, you can create beautiful video clips that show your surroundings clearly. There are a handful of things to look for in the best action cameras out there and we’ve included some of our favorite below!
Affiliate Disclaimer: if you book a trip through our links, we may possibly receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Want to help us keep giving you premium content about Maui? Keep reading our site and maybe find a trip or activity you'll love!
Any/all of the links on LetsGoToMaui.net are affiliate links from with I receive a small commission from sales of certain items. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. As an Amazon Prime user, I only recommend the best! Mahalo!
Many models can be connected via Wi-Fi or mobile app to create a live video stream. This makes it easy to add filters and overlays to change the look and feel of your footage.
Many models offer motion detection features which will alert you should something have been shot, saving you from having to check your phone every time it detects movement. Some even have Night Vision feature which will increase the resolution of what you are able to capture in the dark.
Here are some of our favorite features:
- Wireless connectivity
- Storage capacity
- Battery life
- Compatible apps
- Additional features
Having wireless capability gives you the ability to record and share your footage without having to connect your camera to a computer or device. This capability allows you to buy a lens that connects via WiFi, or allow you to add a compatible device through the app.
Many cameras feature this connectivity capability, but none of them are pre-installed. You will have to look for it in the app and add it as a camera.
Some features that are not wireless but can be added is being able to add musical accompaniment or being able to create videos in which no action occurred, such as in a recording of someone taking an elevator up or down a building.
Having a camera that can hold more photos and videos is a major factor in how much footage you can take on a daily basis. It can be helpful to have more images and videos on board when heading out into the world to capture moments!
Some cameras only hold a few images and/or videos, while others can hold up to ten. The majority of cameras hold between four and six hundred images, with two to four videos.
When buying an action camera which holds a thousand images or less, consider whether or not you will need more storage space as some may not have enough room for all of the photos and videos which it takes.
Most allow for upgraded storage via external SD card too.
Another key feature of the best action cameraswhether you are looking at the basic model or the more advanced model is battery life. This is very important to consider when making any buying decisions!
How long will you want to use your camera before buying a new one? If you are going to be taking lots of pictures throughout the day, then the built-in battery will be enough! If you are looking for more capabilities such as video recording or emailing of your photos, then look at the additional features that come with the models.
When it comes to buying a camera, there are some basic rules that can help make a difference between poor quality cameras and pricey ones with no differences.
When it comes to action cameras, durability is an important factor to consider. Most can last a few months of year if used regularly, but there are some that do more than just stand the test of time.
When it comes to durability, you need to be careful. Some features like waterproofness or wide angle lens functionality may be useful more often than others. Having some wiggle room in how you use your camera is helpful and good quality content!
Some features like temperature recording or programmable functions may not be necessary but may help with content creation later on.
If your camera is compromised by water, you need to be aware of how resistant it is. Some cameras are protected by a protective case that keeps them safe in water.
Some cases are water resistant, which means that if it is submerged in water for a length of time, the camera will stay submerged and function. This is great! You can now spend all day shooting!
Other waterproof cameras do not have a case but have protection through built-in protection or through an external case. If the camera gets wet, it can still protect itself by creating a chemical reaction with its exposed parts.
This may sound mysterious, because we do not know what chemicals it creates.
Whether you are new to photography or havePhotography, you will enjoy using the camera. Video recording has become a necessity since most users have at least a smartphone with them!
With the ability to edit your video in multiple ways, it is hard to choose your all-around champion. There are many free applications that allow you to add effects and add music, making it more versatile.
Some apps even give you different camera settings such as night mode or slow motion! It is very convenient to have these features as app extensions, instead of having to download a separate app.
As we said before, the ability to change settings and add effects makes this camera user friendly.
Having an action camera is a great way to stay safe while exploring. There are thousands of pictures and videos that you can upload to your phone or computer to review the experience.
However, there are also many apps for your phone or computer that you can download that will add new functionality to your camera. This includes adding new cameras, exporting images and videos in various formats, and adding video filters such as motion detection or night mode.
Some of these features are very useful and might help preserve evidence if something happened in the wild. For example, if a animal attack happened, the motion detection function might prevent someone uploading an image that showed only the aftermath of the event.
Having the right app for capturing images and video is critical in having the best experience with their content.
Additional and Autofocus features
The autofocus feature does not work on every camera, so be aware of that before taking your camera for a test drive. If you have a standard lens, you will need to use the macro or close-up features to achieve this.
If you have a wide-angle lens, you will need the Contrast feature to achieve this. Or if you have a zoom lens, you will need the Memory Feature to achieve this.
These features require special software or apps that are installed on your device.
Our Recommendations of the Best Action Cameras for HawaiAround!
- 5K VIDEO: Shoot stunning video with up to 5K resolution, perfect for maintaining serious detail even when zooming in. Packing a new 23.6MP sensor that’s an absolute powerhouse, HERO9 Black brings lifelike image sharpness, fluid motion and in-camera horizon leveling that always impresses.
- 20 MP PHOTO WITH SUPERPHOTO: Capture crisp, pro-quality photos with 20MP clarity. And with SuperPhoto, HERO9 Black can automatically pick all the best image processing for you, so it’s super easy to nail the shot.
- FRONT DISPLAY + REAR TOUCH SCREEN: A new, larger rear touch screen with touch zoom on HERO9 Black should feel instantly familiar and a dazzling new front display makes for easy framing and intuitive camera control.
- POWERFUL BATTERY: 30% longer battery life is here thanks to a larger 1720mAh battery. This lets you shoot more without having to swap out batteries and packs enough juice to power your camera through the cold.
- HYPERSMOOTH 3.0: Experience ultimate smoothness with our most advanced video stabilization ever. HyperSmooth 3.0 enables in-camera horizon leveling and boost in all settings.
Additional Info :
- Simple, grab and go operation with a compact, waterproof design and weight of just 2.6 ounce (74 grams), Hero session is the perfect camera for first time GoPro users
- Easy one button control press the button once to power on the camera and begin capturing video or photos automatically
- Designed to withstand extreme environments and conditions, Hero session is waterproof to 33 feet (10 meter), no housing needed
- Additional GoPro Hero session features + benefits below on item page; Hero session camera supports up to 128gb; For the best results we recommend formatting your microSD card regularly; Does not have LCD display
- Stunning GoPro video quality records stunning 1440p30, 1080p60 and 720p100 video; powerful photo capture captures 8mp single photos, 10 FPS burst photos and 0.5 to 60 second time lapse photos
Additional Info :
- Revolutionary New Image Sensor: expansive field of view ever on a HERO camera out of the box. This gives you an extra-large canvas for your creativity by capturing more of the sky and horizon in every shot. Zoom in, crop your shots, change digital lenses, adjust aspect ratios and more while keeping the rich textures and sharpness of your footage.
- Unbelievable Image Quality: With 5.3K video that gives you 91% more resolution than 4K and an incredible 665% more than 1080p, HERO11 Black captures the action with crisp detail and cinematic image quality. A water- repelling lens cover even helps eliminate lens flare and other artifacts to make your photos and videos even more stunning.
- High-Res Photos + Videos, High Frame Rate: HERO11 Black’s new image sensor boosts photo resolution up to an incredible 27MP while delivering 5.3K60 video with amazingly fluid motion that you can use to grab stunning 24.7MP stills of your favorite shots. Plus, record 2.7K240 video that can be played back in 8x slo-mo to catch details that can’t be seen at normal speed.
- Emmy Award- Winning HyperSmooth Stabilization: HyperSmooth has never been better. And now it’s won a huge award for its insanely smooth footage—a 2021 Emmy for In- Camera Sensor and Software Stabilization. HyperSmooth 5.0 raises the bar even more with Horizon Lock, improved stabilization for 4:3 aspect ratio footage thanks to our new image sensor, and AutoBoost for maximum stabilization with minimal image cropping. Bike, skate, ski, chase your kids through the park or get some awesome pet POV shots—even the shakiest footage comes out silky smooth.
- What’s Included: HERO11 Black Camera, Enduro Battery, Carrying Case, Curved Adhesive Mount, Mounting Buckle + Thumb Screw, USB-C Cable
Additional Info :
- BORN ALL-WEATHER ACTION CAMERA – Brave 7 LE action camera is weatherproof and distinct to unlock all the filming scenarios and ease your vlogging experience. Its IPX7 water-resistant design can protect the action camera from rain, snow and water splashing. Your underwater adventure can even down to 131FT/40M while equipped with the included waterproof housing.
- CONVENIENT DUAL-DISPLAY – With innovate dual color screens design, you can change framing and monitoring views between back and front, especially the vivid front screen can satisfy your selfies need and 2-inch back touch screen makes it easy to use than ever.
- SHOOT 4K VIDEO & 20MP PHOTO – This action camera can take hyper-quality 4K 30Fps video and 20MP photo, recording your adventure without missing any details!
- ELECTRONIC IMAGE STABILIZATION 2.0 – This action camera is equipped with improved 6-axis EIS, it can provide gimbal-like stabilization and greatly boost the stability and fluency of your recording. It can enable excellent footage even you or the object is in fast-moving.
- A FULL SET OF PROFESSIONAL FUNCTIONS & FREE ACCESSORIES – Digital zoom function and various shooting modes, such as time-lapse, burst photo and fast motion, help you create your footage beyond imagination. Included accessories of 2 rechargeable batteries, remote, waterproof housing and multifunctional mounting kits help you expand your usage scenarios with pleasant budget.
Additional Info :
- UPGRADED SERIES OF AKASO V50: Records 4K/60fps, 4K/30fps, 2.7K/60fps, 2.7K/30fps, 1080P/120fps, 720P/240fps video and 20MP image, you can capture high-quality full HD footages.
- VOICE CONTROL: You can control your AKASO V50 Elite action camera hands free with voice commands Like “Action Start Video” and “Action Photo”.
- SUPERB IMAGE STABLIZATION: Built-in Advanced Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS), your V50 Elite action camera predicts your movements and corrects for camera shake to deliver insanely smooth footage.
- OPTIONAL VIEW ANGLE: You can adjust the view angle of this action camera according to your needs between Wide, Medium and Narrow. This sports camera also has the distortion calibration feature, which offers image distortion improvements.
- WATERPROOF CAMERA UP TO 131FT: Equipped the improved waterproof case, this underwater camera can deep dive up to 131 feet, ready to capture all details of your adventures. Ideal for water sports such as swimming, surfing, diving, snorkeling, etc.
Additional Info :
- The Pocket Camera Crew: With just one device, shoot first in every direction with super 5.7K 360 capture and then choose your favorite angle later. Or pick just one lens with Steady Cam mode for ultra-stable wide angle footage.
- FlowState Stabilization: Better-than-ever stabilization and horizon leveling algorithms keep your shots steady—no gimbal needed.
- Invisible Selfie Stick: Shoot with the Invisible Selfie Stick and then watch it disappear in your edit. Capture easy drone-like angles and third-person perspectives with the flick of a wrist.
- IPX8 Waterproof: Insta360 ONE X2 is waterproof to 10 meters (33ft). Take it out in a rainstorm or surfing without a case.
- In the Box: 1x Insta360 ONE X2, 1x Charge Cable, 1x Battery, 1x Protective Pouch and 1x User Guide.
Additional Info :